Monday 27 August 2018

Get Wrapped Blog Hop...

Hello everyone and welcome to a very special post because today, I'm excited to announce that Seth Apter, Eileen Hull, PaperArtsy and Emerald Creek Craft Supplies have teamed up with some amazing designers all in the name of fun, and cross brand creativity to bring you the...

Let's Get Wrapped Blog Contest!


Of course there will be a prize pack valued over $150 USD from PaperArtsy, Seth Apter, Eileen Hull and Emerald Creek and to be entered you must pop by and comment on each of the blog posts. 
(We don't want you to miss any of the tips and tricks.)

Contest closes Aug 29th at midnight and a winner will be announced Aug 30th, 2018.

Order of hop:
Emma Williams (you are here)
I was truly honoured to be invited by Seth to join this hop and it was so much fun creating this project ~ a travel journal with lots of detail and texture and one that can be filled with stories of all my adventures.

So let's begin and hope you enjoy the creative process of how I made this piece...

I started by making my wrapped journal cover, which was cut from mount board and then prepped with an application of gesso.

Once the medium was dry, I then moved onto the paint layer. I used PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Set 4 and started the layering process with the palest in the set, Glacier Ice which I applied over the surface of my journal cover on the inside and the outside.

I then added some more interest and layers by using a brayer to apply the darker colours, Venice Blue and Steel Grey and just allowing the paint to kiss the surface of the mount board as I rolled the brayer over the top. I continued this process until I felt I had enough depth to my paintwork. To add a final layer of texture, I applied a thin layer of the Steel Grey Paint to my craft sheet and using the Mountain Range Stamp Set, I picked up some of the paint from the sheet with my stamp and then randomly stamped over the top of the painted surface.

Now that I have my cover painted, I moved onto adding some more texture and some rusty tones around the edges. This was created using the Ranger Ink Embossing Dabber, which I applied in sections, directly onto the edges of the journal. I then sprinkled Chunky Rust Baked Texture Embossing Powder over the wet ink and heat embossed the powder until it was set and you can see what a wonderful rusty finish it creates to this piece.

For the front cover, I began by adding another layer and applied a Versamark Ink Pad directly onto the painted surface before sprinkling Beeswax Baked Texture Embossing Powder over the inked surface. Tap away the excess and then heat the powder to create this beautiful beeswax finish ~ I love the look of this technique and these powders create the most wonderful texture. As a finishing touch I added some Remnant Rub Numbers.
Now for the embellishments and I chose to use Seth's Coffee Break die which I cut four times from heavyweight card before layering each piece to create one substantial die cut image, which has incredible dimension and impact on the finished cover.
I painted the die cut with black gesso and then applied a Versamark Ink Pad over the dry painted surface before applying Deep Sea Baked Texture Powder over the top. After heat embossing the powder I repeated this process three more times to create an enamelled look to the die cut before adding a sprinkling of Ancient Amber Baked Texture Powders over the top and heat embossing it to melt into the enamel. I attached the die cut to the front cover of the journal, slightly overlapping the opening edge.
I completed the cover with some metal embellishments ~ a ruler piece, compass, arrow and completed the piece with a Flower Pin Wheel Brad which have all been altered using Alcohol Inks to create a more rusty finish to the surfaces.
These embellishments also acted as a fastening to the cover as I purposely didn't add a closure or a wrap to hold the journal together, the cover is just weighted down using this dimensional focal point.

As a finishing touch, I attached some glass domes which I painted with metallic paints, a couple of metal hardware pieces and a quote chip ~ Enjoy The Journey which has a layer of the Beeswax Baked Texture Powder applied over the top.
I now moved onto decorating the inside of the journal and because the inside is already painted I just needed to add all those little details and I started by adding the file tab complete with the word journal, and altered the tab with a little more of the Chunky Rust Baked Texture before attaching onto the inside fold.
To create the panels on either side of the journal, I used a piece of heavy stock card, cut slightly smaller in size to allow a border to show around the outside. I then inked the cardstock with some Antique Linen and Vintage Photo Distress Oxide Ink before stamping some text over the surface. I then applied a Versamark Ink Pad over the entire surface of the card and sprinkled Beeswax Baked Texture Embossing Powder over the top. Tap away the excess and then heat emboss. I added some tape strips and ephemera pieces before sprinkling some Rocky Road Baked Texture into the embossed panel and heating it so it just melted into it.

I matted the panels onto kraft card and then mounted each of them onto the inside of the journal.
I completed the inside with a couple of ephemera pieces.

We're nearly there now and all that's left is to create the pages and covers for the inside.

I created two folder covers for the inside, cutting heavy stock card to measure, 19 x 12cm. I applied the same combination of paint to both sides of the cardstock, using the same technique as I did for the mount board used on the journal cover.

For the central section on the first folders which you see when you open the journal, I used the smallest two pieces from Seth's Shield Die and die cut heavy stock card. I then applied the Versamark Ink Pad to the surface of each die cut piece and embossed the smaller piece with Deep Sea Baked Texture and the larger circle with Ancient Amber Baked Texture Powder. I attached the circles to the centre of the folder cover and placed a Quote Chip over the top before adding an index clip and small hinge clip that I painted red and some machine stitching around the outside, leaving the threads to hang loose which is something I love to do.
The remaining folder cover includes some stamping and some tape strips.
I chose to add plain paper to my book, as I wanted this to be a functional journal, something I can use and write in, and also a place to add more pages and ephemera! To create a vintage feel to the paper, I inked it with Old Paper Distress Ink and then spritzed the pages with water ~ the moisture created a slight buckled effect to the paper which I loved and once it was thoroughly dry, I'd folded my pages down the centre, stitched them together along the folded spine and then added them to my journal, placing some pages inside the covers I'd already created above.
Place everything inside your journal, attaching it through the elastic cords.
To complete the journal I added a token to hang from the spine of the book.
Thanks so much for popping by today and I wanted to say a huge thank you to Seth for inviting me to be a part of this hop, I was honoured to be asked and also to Eileen and Kate for making this hop so much fun.




Additional Products Used:

109 comments:

  1. Wow, I love the colours used and the coffee break die reminds me of the biohazard sign. The brad may have to fall into my basket I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great journal!! Love how on that brad on the cover, it looks like rust has dropped off it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The layers and the embossing turned out perfectly grungy. Love the journal and the construction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the enamel look of some elements, with just a sprinkle of another colour of embossing powder in them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing, love all details

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cover is amazing! I love the details on all the pages, the stitching and embellishments x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emma, you truly knocked this journal out of the park! WOW! Gorgeous,from cover to cover! The colors and powders you chose to work with are just stunning and the pages inside- WOW I love each of them!
    Brilliant work!Thanks so much for sharing and the inspiration!
    hugs,Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw Wow! Emma, your journal is just WOW! Fabulous showcasing of all those super products and as always excellent design and execution!
    You Rocked it !
    Big hugs and thanks for being a great bloghop buddy :) ♥ x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Art Emma! I love the look of the journal you created. *☆♡☆* I love all the metal embellishments you added and the layered dimension you created on your cover. Ooh la la that compass coin is singing to me!♡

    ReplyDelete
  10. The rusty effect is amazing!!! Love your Journal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! What an amazing job! Had to pin it for inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful work. Just beautiful layers and creation. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so enjoy all of the tiny details you add to each project; this is totally spectacular. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, another masterpiece! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, I love everything about this journal Emma! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous journal, love the colour combo and the awesome details <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous ! Rust and texture for the win ! I really have to get the Paper Artsy paint.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Emma your journal is just beyond words!! So many beautiful layers and details of powders that all blend so nicely!! I really wish I could reach out and touch it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great grungy cool mini! Love all the bits of embossing. So much character!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your work! It’s just beautiful. Colors look really nice together. Thank you for sharing your creativity ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your rusty corners and edges. You have a great eye for the little things. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the rusty look. Very jealous of everyone who achieves this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Totally love this. Brilliant!!!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the layers and the colors

    ReplyDelete
  24. Emma love this journal, especially the rust technique.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Rust on blue colors... my favorite combo!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I so admire those of you who take the time to do that stitching, it has such a great impact, and this colors and super together!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the heavy looking embellishments
    on the cover. they add weight and
    interest. Fantastic book.
    thanks for sharing. txmlhl(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  28. So amazing... the paint layers you created just amazing.Love how you embellished it too !

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOVE to see your grunge side! This is so fabulous. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  30. An out and out beauty - the rust against the soft denim blues is the perfect vintage grunge combination, and as always the attention to detail is impeccable. Love, love, love it! What an amazing hop - it's lovely to be a part of it.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have so many of the things you used to create this journal. Thank you so much for the inspiration to pull out my supplies and play. Beautiful journal!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the way you used the Seth Aptor dies, and the compass. Lovely vintage journal.

    Noreen
    Crafty Journal

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great textures -- I especially like the detailed attention to the tab!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow this is amazing! The color combination, the textures, all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the embellishments on the front cover!

    ReplyDelete
  36. what a wonderful journal! love the blue color throughout and the great rusted corners - beautiful embellies too!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Amazing depth and texture. Love your layers and color palette - fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Knew in advance I would love this journal. The embossed rings and touches of rust contrast beautifully with the pale blues and other metal embellishments. Love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh wow! Only onto the second blog of this hop (I started in the middle, I'm quirky like that) and my mind is racing. This is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  40. love love love your journal cove....thank you for the step by step.
    suzschultz72352(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is wonderful! I would love to try to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Beautiful every detail is perfect! Love it inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  43. You knocked it out of the ballpark Emma. From the initial layers to the embossed die cuts to the layers and composition...I love this. Really love this. Thanks so much for joining us in the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Ohhh! This is so clever. 😍

    ReplyDelete
  45. very pretty and some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I am enjoying this journey and adventure seeing these wonderful and amazing books. Yours is stunning! I love the dimension and color, so beautiful! Thanks so much!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love the colors and that “enameled” die cut

    ReplyDelete
  48. Emma, this is just stunning!! Every single little detail is just so beautiful, I love it!!! Great use of all those wonderful products!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Love the way you use stitching. It really adds texture and individual flavor. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Wow Emma! This is beautiful inside and out. Wonderful dimension on the cover and the signatures are gorgeous too. You've created a lovely and useful journal x

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love your painted finishes - very classy and effective especially with the rusty embossing etc. And the stitching adds another lovely element inside!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Love the vintage colours and finishes. Fabulous journal!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Wonderful project! I love all the elements you added - that compass face is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Wonderful journal! I love the rust on the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  55. wonderful book! love that Seth Apter die on the cover makes it really pop. cool color choices

    ReplyDelete
  56. Great journal!! LOVE the compass!

    ReplyDelete
  57. So much about this journal I love x

    ReplyDelete
  58. Wow, I love the look of this. Love the rust effect and the light blue and how you used the coffee die. Such great effect. Wonderful details and love the inside too.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Wow gorgeous journal! Love all the dimensional elements you used and rust and patina are definitely on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Very cohesive design inside and out. All the elements go so well together and I love the color combination. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I’m not in the whole bloghop but I had to comment this! Your journal is aboluteley amazing! Love the colours and the texture. The whole design are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Wow! I love this. Your colours, the rust, THAT COFFEE BREAK die cut. Wow again. Thank you. Inspiration overload. 🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete
  63. I had a "d'oh!" moment when reading through your process. Of course you cut the coffee ring die several time ( was wondering how you could use one of Seth's dies on chipboard); you line them up so seamlessly that I was faked out. This cover is gorgeous! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  64. Oh my goodness, I LOVE this journal, the different textures and colours and the added bling of the embossing and the embellishments, so fabulous. Thank you for sharing, this blog hop is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  65. Oh Emma...I could sort out your style in a million...and, as always you did an outstanding job with this journal. Love everything about it, the textures, colours, details...amazing inspiration! Huge hugs ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  66. I love this, nice and junky!

    ReplyDelete
  67. Emma, I've been working my way through each of the stops along the hop and anxiously awaiting the arrival to your post. I absolutely love your style (as you know) and this wrapped journal is such a gorgeous piece of art! I love the way you applied the color and the depth you achieved, the colors are fantastic and then the die cuts that truly look like enamel, are superb! I think this will be such a joy to use, especially seeing as its as beautiful inside as it is out! I love it Emma, thank you for sharing your wonderful creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  68. Perfection! absolute perfection! the rusty edges... Beeswax Baked Texture Powder and the die cut are now in my must have list! thank you so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  69. Emma, this is just outstanding! I love the rusty accents! You are so incredibly inspiring and gifted!

    ReplyDelete
  70. Stunning cover--love that blue and the coffee break die! And the inside is just my style.

    ReplyDelete
  71. WOW!!! Love all the rusty stuff on the edges and everything else about it too...LOL...always love everything that you make...awesome inspiration as usual...

    ReplyDelete
  72. This is truly amazing. I love the texture and the way you put the book together in genius..to be used over and over..love it. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  73. Your pages are fabulous and I love the cover! The layered embellishments really added an extra special touch.

    ReplyDelete
  74. So many wonderful techniques and details in your journal! I am so inspired to try them all♥️

    ReplyDelete
  75. Awesome--I like the rusty look.

    ReplyDelete
  76. Totally in love with your dimensional goodness! Perfectly wonderful grunge. :)
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  77. Wow, all the details...it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  78. This is a cool journal. I love all the metal effects on this. The creativity on this blog hop is just so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  79. Oh my! This looks fabulous! Great Inspiration! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  80. This is just wonderful! Love the texture and details!

    ReplyDelete
  81. WOW I love this, they layers and embossed pieces are fantastice, great composition!!

    ReplyDelete
  82. Fantastic mixed media journal - thanks so much for showing us the way!

    ReplyDelete
  83. This is so beautiful Emma, it looks so timeworn. Congratulations on being part of the blog hop and have a very happy week, Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  84. As usual, you do not disappoint with your attention to detail, just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  85. Emma, this is truly a work of art and your talent is amazing. Thanks so much for working with my die and making it look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  86. OMG! This is fabulous! I LOVE all the rust and your embellishments. The inside is TOO beautiful to be inside. You should create another journal with those as the cover. I am bookmarking this page and coming back because I need to look at it over and over again!

    ReplyDelete
  87. Your journal is stunning! I absolutely love all of your layers on the front of your journal. And the rusty texture from the baked textures is amazing.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  88. Truly amazing! Your attention to detail, as always, is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  89. Oh my Emmce, this is stunning to me, love everything about it ! What a wonderful
    Journal you made. The cover is simply amazing, thank you very much for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  90. Fab journal love your embellishments xx

    ReplyDelete
  91. Oh this is lovely. Fab colours and lovely textures and details. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  92. So cool! Especially the stitching. Makes it very unique.

    ReplyDelete
  93. Thank you for such detailed explanation of yr journal. I love Love Love the colors, the way it looks like aged metal, the journal tab turned out so vintage looking you’d never know it wasn’t really old. The antique page techniques on the inside cover really sets off your journal and adds a lot of interest. And I gather it was a bit of a surprise how your plain journal pages turned out with the spritzed water buckling the pages. I’m going to definitely try that. I really love yr journal and am ordering the fresco set you used

    ReplyDelete
  94. What a fantastic wrap journal! Love the rustic look and those amazing embellishments... love the dimension on them. So much to see on such little journal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  95. Well, Emma, now i’m A fan...LOVE this journal and every little touch. How fascinating that each of you in this blog hop was given roughly the same materials and came up with such wholly different art... Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  96. I am very inspired..nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  97. Beautiful! Loving the blue with all the rusty accents.

    ReplyDelete
  98. Love the rustic design! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  99. Loved the blue so much and everything about the cover touched my artist soul. Then I saw Documented and was in love again. Everything was gorgeous and played so well together. Love It.

    ReplyDelete
  100. Oh the blues and the rust are amazing together!! And I just love that wonderful diecut on the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  101. Wow! Beautiful project!!! Love the details and the choice of colors!!! Fabulous tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments and messages, they are all appreciated and I hope you'll come back and visit again soon...
Emma ~xx

Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews