Thursday 8 July 2021

Guess Who?

Hello there...

Hope you're all having a wonderful week and your creative juices are flowing and talking about those juices, I'm back today to share one of my makes for the recent Stampers Anonymous stamp releases by Tim Holtz and if you did miss the recent YouTube live launch of these amazing designs, then just pop over to Tim’s blog HERE for the replay!

If you haven't seen the releases yet, then where have you been?!?! There are five sets in the release, plus four new stencils and these can all be bought individually at Simon Says Stamp but you can also purchase an "I WANT IT ALL" bundle which includes a free set of Tim's new larger sized Ranger Archival Inks! This is on reserve at the moment, but will be with you sooner than later!

So back to my card and this is the one you've all been asking to see and I'm so thankful for all the lovely messages you've sent about it ~ you really do make my day and I appreciate them all!
This is an 'Emma sized card" which is slightly larger than average and the black card blank, that I created measures approx. 18 x 15cm.

BACKGROUND

For this I used a panel of Mixed Media Heavystock card and I inked this using a combination of Distress Sprays and Oxide Sprays which I've listed below and spritzed each individual colour onto the panel. I always use my splatter box when inking with sprays, otherwise I think I'd have a very colourful table....

DISTRESS SPRAY STAINS: Speckled Egg, Ground Espresso, Vintage Photo, Crackling Campfire

DISTRESS OXIDE SPRAYS: Salvaged Patina, Tumbled Glass

After spraying the inks, I then spritzed a light misting of water over the top, creating runs and drips before heat drying the panel thoroughly. I love that Salvaged Patina run on the top section!

Moving on, I inked up the gears stamp from the Observations set with clear embossing ink and stamped along the bottom of the panel. I then sprinkled gold embossing powder over the top, tapped away the excess and heat embossed the powder until molten.
At this stage, I also added some background stamping using Black Soot Archival Ink ~ the Office Stamp in the top left corner and the "T" in the bottom right. 
Both stamps are from the Correspondence stamp set. I also added a small ephemera piece in the top left hand corner, 2/6. (I'm not sure which set this piece is from but it's definitely in one of them somewhere, lol). I also added the little stitches which I had left over from a previous project and are die cut from the Sizzix Media Marks Thinlits die set.
I inked the edges of the panel with Walnut Stain Distress Ink, before machine stitching the corners with black cotton thread, leaving some of the strands to hang loosely.

I matted the finished panel onto silver metallic kraft stash, followed by a panel of co-ordinating card from the cool kraft stack ~ both are sanded for more of a distressed feel and each time I left a border around the edge before mounting the layers onto the card blank.

On the side of the card, you'll notice I've got a tag popping out from the edge.

This was actually a scrap that I had left over from a previous project and is only the top portion of the tag which I slipped underneath the card layers when I attached them to the card blank and from memory, I used the faux enamel technique.

To do this, I dragged the Speckled Egg Distress ink pad over the tag surface, just allowing the ink to touch where it touches. I then sprinkled a combination of Speckled Egg, Walnut Stain and Salvaged Patina Embossing Glazes over the top of the ink, tapped away the excess and heat embossed. Once the embossing was cool, I then inked with Walnut Stain and Crackling Campfire Distress Ink and it created this gorgeous rusty patina to the tag.

With the tag in place, I added some twine through the hole reinforcer and then attached two Machinery Heads with Matte Collage Medium, which I altered with a combination of Ground Espresso and Crackling Campfire Distress Paints to create the rusty tones.

For the final layer on the card I added a panel across the centre. This is slightly wider than the main panel and inked with the same colours. I cut this panel into two pieces, one slightly wider than the other and added some stamping on the smaller panel using the numbers from the Inquisitive set. I inked these with Frayed Burlap Oxide Ink and then spritzed the stamping with a light misting of water, allowed them to slightly wick and then heat dried the surface to create this blurry look to the stamped image. I then layered both of the inked panels, adding the stamped numbers below the larger one, onto silver metallic kraft stash before attaching the panel to my card front.

With the background ready, let's move onto the main stars of the show...

INQUISITVE CHARACTERS

To begin with I stamped all three of the larger sized characters onto watercolour card in Black Soot Archival Ink.

I then stamped a second image of each character but this time I used clear embossing powder to emboss the top hats and I stamped the bowler hat in Ground Espresso Archival Ink but did not emboss this one as I didn't want this to be shiny.

I coloured the characters using a combination of Distress Inks and Polychromos pencils and once I was happy, I fussy cut around the entire outline of each one of them, and on the second stamped set of images, just the hats and shirts. I then layered the hats and shirts over the top of the full image using foam pads to add some height and dimension.
Setting these to one side, I stamped the bullseye. I used my stamp platform and stamped the image in Barn Door Archival Ink. Without removing the stamp, I inked it up one more time but used Black Soot Archival and over-stamped the red bullseye with the black to create a deeper shade of red. I added a few flicks of Frayed Burlap Distress Ink across the surface and heat dried the card.

I used a circle die to cut the bullseye and then matted this onto a circle of silver metallic kraft stash, that I cut with one of Tim's older dies ~ the Stitched Circles. To add a little more of a vintage touch to the silver, I inked the surface with Rust and Pitch Black Alcohol Inks.
Across the centre of the bullseye, I added a target and this was stamped with Black Soot Archival Ink using stamps from the Mini Glitch set. To complete, I added some white pen work to highlight the target before attaching the bowler hat gentleman onto the centre using foam pads.

Mount the bullseye onto the centre of the horizontal panel with foam pads and attach the other two characters either side. To complete this section, I added a star adornment onto the bowler hat which I painted with Candied Apple Distress Paint.
We're nearly there and all that's left was for me to stamp the sentiment ~ Guess Who? using Barn Door Archival Ink, stamped onto a scrap of card inked with Old Paper and Frayed Burlap inks and cut into a banner shape, with an inverted 'v' in one end. I then stitched the edge of the sentiment and attached it to my card, adding a pin for the final, finishing detail.
 So that's my card complete and I hope you love the card and tutorial! As always, if you make anything inspired by what you see on my blog ~ then just let me know and I would love to see your beautiful makes and will pop by to say hello!

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by today ~ stay safe and keep well.
Love Emma xxx

Recipe for project:

Sizzix: Stitched Circles from my stash
Distress Inks: Walnut Stain, Crackling Campfire, Speckled Egg
Distress Spray StainSpeckled Egg, Ground Espresso, Vintage Photo, Crackling Campfire
Oxide SpraysSalvaged Patina, Tumbled Glass
Embossing Glaze: Speckled Egg, Walnut Stain, Salvaged Patina
Distress Paint: Candied Apple
Alcohol Inks: Pitch Black, Rust
Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Machinery Heads, Star Adornment

5 comments:

  1. Love when I find your little red stars. Its like, where's waldo with Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wondeful card, love it. Anesha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I followed all your techniques for making this card. Took me just over 3 hours! But it looks fabulous. thanks so much for sharing all the details. will post my version in Addicts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your wonderful artistic talent. Your work is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this card xx the colours !!!! Amazeballs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments and messages, they are all appreciated and I hope you'll come back and visit again soon...
Emma ~xx

Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews