Saturday 26 September 2020

She's In Fashion

Hello friends...

Hope you've all had a really good week and you're now ready for the weekend and maybe some crafting fun and with just three...yes, you did read that right ~ THREE months until Christmas, you might be looking for some inspiration for all those Christmas makes. I have had so many requests for a blog tutorial for this piece, so I would like to say thank you for everyone who has contacted me and I'm sorry for the wait but finally, I would like to introduce you to Gertrude and her winter wardrobe!

This was a project that I created for the Tim Holtz Sizzix Chapter 3 release and of course, it features Gertrude, who Tim introduced at the beginning of the year but this time she is having her holiday outing and no fashionista would be complete without a few fashionable items! So, that's exactly what I gave her with the very clever Winter Wardrobe die set from Tim, complete with accessories that will match Gertrude, Theodore, Winifred and Clarence Colorize dies. This piece also lights up with the help of some tiny lights and I'll show you how I created a little trick to hold the battery box.

So, let's get started...

To begin with I would recommend that you get all your die cutting done and especially die cut and assemble Gertrude. I cut her from inked Distress Watercolour Card and used many of the brown shades of Distress Ink to create the variation of colour: Vintage Photo, Gathered Twigs, Frayed Burlap, Brushed Corduroy, combined with Fossilized Amber and Antique Linen. I also added just a touch of Spun Sugar around the facial area. I also made my wooden log slice that sits behind her using the Tree Rings die and embossing folder set and cutting chipboard, which I layered over the top of one another to create the log. I then painted this with Gathered Twigs and Frayed Burlap Distress Paint, adding some Vintage Collage Medium over the surface to seal this piece.

The foliage is created using watercolour card inked with various green Distress Inks and then die cut using the Mini Holiday Greens Thinlits Die Set.
1. So, the majority of die cutting is complete and let's begin! I used the smallest sized tray in the set of 2 and I started by die cutting a few stars from card, using the Falling Stars die and then attaching them to the outer sides fo the box with Matte Collage Medium before painting the outside of the box with a light wash of Speckled Egg Distress Paint, letting some of the natural wood and grain still show through. 
2. Whilst I allowed the paint to dry, I started the background for the inside of the box and for this I used a sheet of Distress Watercolour Card which will be enough to fit the inside and the sides of the box. I then spritzed the watercolour card with a light misting of water and then spritzed my Spray Stains ~ Antique Linen, Speckled Egg and Evergreen Bough.

3. Once I was happy, I heat dried the inked card panel thoroughly before applying Translucent Grit Paste through the Sparkle Layering Stencil. Whilst the paste is still wet, sprinkle Speckled Egg Distress Embossing Glaze over the top and tap away the excess before setting the card to one side so that the paste will dry but don't be tempted to poke the paste, take that from someone who has been there, done that!

4. When the paste has finally dried, take your embossing heat tool and very gently heat the glaze until it become shiny and creates the look of enamel. To add some more detail, I stamped some stars around the sides of the main panel using the stars stamp from the Great Outdoors Set, stamped with clear embossing ink and then embossed with white embossing powder.

5. Cut each of the pieces to line the sides and the back of the box and ink the edges of each pieces. Adhere the panels to the box with Matte Collage Medium but leave approximately 6cm from the base to line this section with the wood grain paper included in the Christmas Paper Stash.
6. Apply some Design Tape around the raw edges of the box to create a really nice finish.
7. The box is now covered and ready to start working with and the next stage is to add some texture and I used Crackle Paste which I applied to the outside, along the top, down the sides and on the back. Let the crackle paste do it's thing and dry completely before accentuating those delicious cracks with Walnut Stain Distress Crayon, which I apply directly to the crackle before using a brush, dipped into a little water to blend the colour over the surface. Use a kitchen towel to wipe away any excess water.

For the handle on top of the box, I one of the Mini Hardware Pulls and painted it using Candied Apple Distress Paint to add the colour before attaching the handle with Matte Collage Medium, placing two Hardware Heads on either side.
8. To create the ledge on the front of the box that divides it into two sections, I used a Scalloped Etcetera Trim and a Pinked Etcetera Trim. Cut the pinked trim so that it will fit inside the box and paint it with Picket Fence Distress Paint. Attach the trim with collage medium onto the inside of the box, placing it at a 90° angle, creating a ledge for Gertrude to stand on.

9. Underneath the pinked trim, I then added a second trim, the Scalloped version and for this I cut a strip of card and embossed it using the 3D Star Trim Impresslits Embossing Folder and then attached the trim to the Scalloped Etcetera Trim before painting it with Speckled Egg Distress Paint. Once dry, I applied the Embossing Dabber over the top and enamelled the entire trim with Speckled Egg Distress Embossing Glaze, heated until molten. This ledge is going to be where you will attach the lights, hiding them just underneath the scalloped piece, so with this in mind, you will need to place it so the lights fit behind and I adhered it across the tray using Matte Collage Medium. 
On either side of the trim I added silver Metallic Droplets.
10. Now for the lights...bore a small hole into the back of the box, and thread the lights through to the front and attach the light set underneath the ledge. I used a glue gun to secure them into place, but make sure you don't add hot glue to any of the plastic parts of the lights, you don't want to melt them.

11. On this piece, I also added a small vignette box to hold the battery box. This was perfect for the job and I just painted it the same colour as the main box and added the trim that matched the trim on the front. If you don't want to do this, you can just attach the box to the back.

12. The tray is ready to bring to life and I attached my die cut pieces ~ the tree ring slice, Gertrude and that spray of foliage behind her head, and I adhered them all into place using a combination of foam and Matte Collage Medium to adhere each piece into place. I then added some berries to the foliage pieces using Tonic Nuvo Crystal Drops in Postbox Red.
13. For Gertrude's fashion accessory I used the scarf and the holly piece from the Winter Wardrobe die set. To create the pattern on the scarf, I stamped a piece of watercolour card with the plaid stamp, inked with Frayed Burlap Oxide Ink. I then took the scarf die to die cut each section and after inking the pieces, I layered them using foam pads and added the holly and the berries piece, which was cut from card inked with Peeled Paint Distress Ink and the berries inked with Candied Apple Ink. Attach the scarf with foam pads, placing it around Gertrude's neck.
14. Around the base of Gertrude's feet, I added some Bauble Findings, glittered with Rock Candy Distress Glitter, a few fronds of Mini Holiday Greens and some Wood Slices that some of you probably have in your crafty stash. To create the look of snow, I used Grit Paste, applied the paste to the ledge and then sprinkled some more of the Rock Candy Distress Glitter over the top.
To create the little circular December logo, I used the Circle Words die set and cut four separate layers of the same piece. I then layered each of them over the top of one another before painting the piece with Candied Apple Distress Paint. Once the paint was dry, I used the Embossing Dabber over the entire surface and then sprinkled with Clear Embossing Powder before heat embossing it until molten and shiny. I then attached the piece to my tray ledge, placing it in amongst the arrangement and securing it with a small piece of wooden slice that sits behind the die cut. Add some more Grit Paste and glitter to bed the die cut into the ledge.
15. We're nearly there and all that's needed is Gertrude's secret present stash that sits in the lit section underneath. I used some Alpha Dice and covered them with papers from Tim's paper stashes. I then tied some red twine and some candy cane twine around each present and attached them to the tray, surrounding them with some Mummy Cloth that I dyed with Frayed Burlap inks. I also embellished one of the presents with a few little jingle bells.
...and that is the final piece to be added to make this tray and I hope you love this project as much as I loved creating it! Now all that's left is to flick the switch and turn on the lights ready for the festive season!

As always, if you do feel inspired by this project, I would love to see your take on it and you can tag me, leave me a message or get int ouch via social media and i'll pop over to visit!

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by today ~ stay safe and well, and see you again soon.
Love Emma xxx

Recipe for project:


Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous: Layering Stencil: Sparkle, Perfect Plaids Stamp Set, The Great Outdoors Stamp Set, Scalloped Etcetera Trim, Pinked Etcetera Trim
Tim Holtz/Sizzix: Mini Holiday Greens, Star Trim 3D Impresslits Embossing Folder, Circle Words, Winter Wardrobe, Gertrude, Tree Rings, Falling Stars
Distress Paint: Black SootAntiqued BronzeRusty HingeEvergreen BoughGround Espresso
Distress Spray Stain: Speckled Egg, Antique Linen, Evergreen Bough

9 comments:

  1. Love Gertrude in her winter finery...and the small vignette box on the back does double-duty with hiding the lights and acting as a stand so the vignette tray stands...love it! love it! LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.....I love it. Thanks for sharing, now to find time to work on one for myself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an incredible creation. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma...this is such a work of art its glorious. The imagination..the colors..the techniques...i love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely awesome. From he colors used to the all little details! I also think the box on the back will help it stand up better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful! She looks absolutely stunning! But may I ask what kind of Distress ink you prefer to color the Watercolor cards?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! This is absolutely, gobsmackingly, amazing and so adorable. Thanks for going through each step so in detail. Learning a lot

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's such a darling and the box is just utterly adorable, Emma! Love love love! Thanks for sharing the stepped out information as well - so much to learn and such a treat to read!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just incredible ❤️❤️❤️. Thank you for sharing. I aspire to create something so fabulous x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments and messages, they are all appreciated and I hope you'll come back and visit again soon...
Emma ~xx

Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews