Thursday 21 November 2019

It's The Final Countdown...

Hello friends....

Hope you're all having a great week and thank you for all the visits and lovely comments you've been leaving me, you always make my day with your lovely kind words!

Today, it's time for me to share another project that I made for Tim Holtz's idea-ology Facebook Live ~ my Christmas Advent Box and thought this would be the perfect time to post this project so that you can start working on it and get it made and ready for the big countdown.
So, let's get started and here's how I created this box ~ inside, outside and back and front!
1. To create the base for this box, I used the second largest and the smallest size Vignette Box in the set of 4. To cover the larger box with the aperture uppermost, cut panels of patterned paper from the Christmas 2019 Paper Stash and adhere them with Matte Collage Medium, one pattern onto the outside of the box and a second, co-ordinating pattern to the inside of the box.

2. Use a sanding tool to smooth the edges before applying a coat of Matte Collage Medium over the top to seal the papers.

3. Run the Walnut Stain Distress Crayon along the edges of the covered box and blend out the colour using a damp fingertip.

4. Now for the small box, flip this over and use the solid side of the box as the front. Cover using the same design of paper that you used on the outside of the larger box, I used the dark green and white pattern, and once again sand the edges to create a seamless finish and apply some Walnut Stain Crayon.

5. Attach the smaller box on top of the larger box, placing it in the centre.

6. Cover the edges of the largest size Vignette Panel with some Christmas Design Tape, I used the Black and White Polka Dot and then cover the top of the panel with another patterned paper from the Christmas Stash, leaving a border around the outside to show the tape.

7. At the top of the larger box I wanted to create a ledge that slightly overhangs the top edge of the box and for this I used one of the Scallop Etcetera Trims and painted the trim, back and front, with Ground Espresso Distress paint. Allow for the paint to dry and then dry brush the surface with some Antiqued Bronze, followed by Black Soot Distress Paint. Once the trim is dry, I then attached it across top of the larger box, allowing to overhang, creating the ledge.
8. I now have all my boxes ready to stack and using Matte Collage Medium, I attached the largest to the Vignette Panel base, followed by the smaller box on top.

9. Now for the embellishments to create the scene and I used a Salvaged Snowman, two woodland trees, one mini woodland tree, bauble (snowballs) findings and some wood slices but started with the icicles, which hang down from the top of the box. To create the icy feel to the surface, I applied Picket Fence Paint to the back of the icicle and then once it was dry, flipped it over and smeared the surface with Collage Medium before sprinkling with Rock Candy Dry Distress Glitter. Attach the icicle along the top edge of the large box, placing it just underneath the ledge.
10. Each of the trees are spritzed with Peeled Paint Distress Spray Stain, then set to one side to dry throughly. This is important before moving onto the next stage as you don't want any colour transfer from the stain.

11. Once you're happy that the trees are completely dry, I then used my finger to apply Collage Medium to the tips before sprinkling some Mica Flakes over the trees. Tap away the excess flakes and return to the pot.

12. Whilst the trees are drying, I painted the little Salvaged Snowman ~ Tumbled Glass for his gloves, Black Soot for his hat, buttons and eyes, Spiced Marmalade for nose, Walnut Stain for the broom and Candied Apple for the scarf and hat band. Once the paintwork was dry, I then smeared some collage medium over the surface and sprinkled some Rock Candy Dry Glitter over the top.
13. Attach the snowman and mica covered trees to create the scene, I placed the smallest tree into a Thimble painted with Candied Apple Distress Paint. I then added some wood slices to the arrangement, adding a frosting of Grit Paste and Rock Candy Distress Glitter.


14. To complete the scene and add some frosty magic, I used Grit Paste, applying it with a palette knife directly onto covered boxes and the base panel. Whilst the paste is still wet, sprinkle with the Rock Candy Glitter and also place some of the Bauble Findings in amongst the arrangement.
15. For the finishing touch to the scene, I added some die cut foliage ~ cut from Classic Kraft Card using the Holiday Greens die set and then an Ephemera piece, "Shine Brite Ornaments", which I stuck along the top edge of the largest box.
16. We're almost there and we've now decorated the boxes, created the scene and all that's left is to create the tags for the countdown and complete the top section of the box.
17. To begin I started by adding a second Ephemera piece, "Compliments of the Season" and mount it onto a piece of chipboard, painted with Ground Espresso Distress Paint. Mount the panel onto the top of the smaller box, placing it so it is slightly higher than the top edge.

18. Using a couple of screw eyes, screw these into the wood ~ these will be where you hang your tags from and to create these small tags I used one of the dies from the Gift Tags Thinlits Die set and cut 12 tags from Mixed Media Heavystock Card. Ink each of the tags with a combination of Antique Linen and Walnut Stain on the edges.

19. Using the Merchant Stamp Set and used Barn Door Archival Ink, I stamped the numbers 0, 1 and 2 onto three tags and on the remaining tags, I stamped 1-9 and then another 0.
20. Attach the correct number to start the countdown to the front of the box.

21. For the remaining tags, I attached them to a Loop Pin, which I then hung on the back of the large box, just attaching the loop pin onto a Hitch Fastener.
22. Finally it's all about those little details and finishing touches and to start with, I added some more festive foliage to the top of the box, complete with Autumn Red Nuvo Crystal Drops and finished by placing a snowy bauble finding in the centre.
23. Placed some onto either side of the large box.
24. ...and finished by adding some presents into the back of the smaller box. These are made from covering cubes of wood with some of the papers and then tying them up with some twine before stacking them in the recess of the small box.
...and that's how you create a Winter Wonderland Advent Box, ready to display and countdown the days until Christmas! I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial and loved how this box came together with all the various techniques I've used to add texture, details and a festive feel to your projects and I can't wait to see your boxes and how you interpret the ideas!
Thanks so much for stopping by today and see you again really soon!
Love Emma xxx

Recipe for project

Tim Holtz/Sizzix: Gift Tags, Mini Holiday Greens

Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous: Merchant, Scallop Etcetera Trims


Distress Crayons: Walnut Stain

Distress Inks: Antique Linen, Walnut Stain

Distress Spray Stains: Peeled Paint







4 comments:

  1. Emma this is really such a magical piece! What an awesome way to count down the days to Christmas! I love the classic snowy vintage feel to this. And the back is as beautiful as the front. You really always cover even the smallest of details! No wonder I am such a huge fan. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beautifully composed project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this project, this is my fav of your projects recently...such a great way to countdown to the best day of the year...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is an absolute delight! Emma . Such a wonderfully endearing piece that would add a real touch of wintry love to any ones home at Christmas . So many special 'Emma' touches to admire .

    Big hugs for a lovely week .
    Yet again I apologize for arriving late to catch up on so many of your posts . Life!! Hoping to count some of my list right now . xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments and messages, they are all appreciated and I hope you'll come back and visit again soon...
Emma ~xx

Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews