Wednesday 1 November 2017

Home For The Holidays...

Hello everyone...

Today, is the start of the Tim Holtz Holiday Inspiration Series and throughout the month of November and beginning of December, I am so excited to be joining some talented designers to  share holiday projects on our individual blogs. These inspirational projects will be showcasing many of the products from the new seasonal release and should you miss any, then don't worry as Tim will also be doing a recap over on his blog, every Saturday. 

So without further ado, it's time to start celebrating the most wonderful time of the year and share the first of my Christmas projects, a retro style Christmas Notebook showing a scene created with Sizzix dies...
When it comes to Christmas and with so much to do to prepare for the big day, I always try to be as organised as I can and when I started to think about this project, I thought it would be fun to make a notebook that would be the perfect addition to feed my stationery addiction and also be something practical for all those lists that I will be writing.
So I began by using a ring bound notebook that has a thick kraft style chipboard cover, front and back...bought from my local store for £1.

I applied a layer of gesso over the front cover and heat dried the paint. I didn't want a solid white finish to the edges of my book, so I sanded back the corners and edges with a sanding tool to reveal the underneath and create a worn effect.
I then cut a panel of the snowflake design paper from the Holiday Paper Stash, stitched around the outside and then matted it on a piece of the Holiday Kraft Stash, leaving a border around the edge. I then mounted the matted layers onto the front of the notebook.

To create the scene I used the Home For The Holidays die set...I LOVE the 50's retro feel of this set, it's just so cool and cut all my pieces except for the mountains and the message from card in the Classic Kraft Stash.

I started by cutting my snowy mountains from white watercolour card, I used this card as it's got a texture to it which created the look of snow. I then outlined the mountains by edging the card with some Matte Collage Medium and sprinkling glitter over the top. I attached the mountains to the bottom section of my matted background layers.
You can now begin building up the scene and I started with the car, the main section cut from red classic kraft card, the panels down the side cut from kraft card and the trims all cut from metallic kraft stash. Once the layered car was completed, I added the wheels and attached it to my cover.

Place the presents in the boot (or trunk) of the car and then to ground the car, I added some cheesecloth, arranged to create the look of soft fallen snow. Splatter Picket Fence Distress Paint across the die cut car, using a splatter brush.
Layer the trees with silver metallic kraft card and attach these directly onto the background, using Collage Medium.

For the final section and to complete the scene, I need to attach my tree to the roof of the car. For this,  I used the die to die cut two pieces in two shades of green. I then scored the darker green tree down the centre, folded it half and layered this tree over the top of the lighter green tree before tying pieces of string around it. Using the Splatter Brush and Picket Fence Distress Paint, splatter the paint across the tree, dry the paint and then attach to the roof of the car.
Die cut the wording from metallic kraft stash and place in the top right hand corner, surrounding it with mirrored stars.
To complete the scene, I used Ranger Ink Enamel Accents and dotted these onto the mountains and added a quote chip along the bottom.
As a finishing touch, I wanted to dangle some idea-ology down the side and used the pinecones, a Holiday Token and some skates which I attached to a swivel clip, clipped onto the ring binder. I then tied some ribbon and string around the clasp.

Thanks so much for popping by today and I'll be back with another post on Friday...so, see you then!
Love Emma x


 Cheesecloth and chipboard notebook from my own stash



21 comments:

  1. This is adorable - I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay ... I'm first ! <3
    The details ... WOW the tree on the car came to life; bought back memories. That car die is just to cool !

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautifully done Emma! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fantastic way to organize your holiday lists! I love your creativity, and this is such a wonderful example of it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You started with a masterpiece! fabulous work full of details! As always a great piece my friend! barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun is this!!! Love the car with the tree on top! Love this winter scene you created!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous idea...and even better execution, LOVING all the details!! TFS😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. This should be the cover picture on the die itself...WOW...love. PINNED!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my what a beauty! Emma. Such a fantastic snowy christmas scene with like you say a real 50's retro feel.
    Another one for me to LOVE :)
    I will try my best to keep up with your christmas posts given that I was so slow of the mark for most of your halleween ones. Think I might have to camp outside your blog door...... off to find my sleeping bag .
    Big hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love the design of that retro car - super journal cover!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome journal! So retro and cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Emma, you really do take my breath away...I LOVE ♥♥♥ this...I am a great fan of notebooks as I love lists and I now need to write everything down..the old memory is disappearing fast!! Stunning..xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every detail is so spectacular. Love, love, love it! You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely stunning! Beautifully crafted.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Emma this is so perfect! I just bought this die set yesterday, plan to head to my happy room soon to try it out! I like that this die set will work for other projects as well! Vacations, road trips...not just winter! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so pretty who would want to use it! I love the idea of using the different paper for the snowy mountains. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So fun!!!! I love what you did with this notebook. Every detail is wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Emma, I am in love with this! What a fantastic idea as a pre-holiday gift for friends!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have just found your incredible journal... I was looking for info on snow and came across your stnning creation. The tutorial is a delight to follow, your talent...awesome. I have now run out of adjectives! Thank you for sharing. Will now subscribe..if I can find a link.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What brand die is the Merry Christmas die cut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Merry Christmas die is by Sizzix and just one of the dies in the Home for the Holidays die set by Tim Holtz ~ hope that helps you to find it!

      Delete

Thank you for all your comments and messages, they are all appreciated and I hope you'll come back and visit again soon...
Emma ~xx

Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews