Can you believe it's Monday already? Well, time is definitely flying but the start of a new week means that it's also the start of a brand new challenge over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog and this week's challenge is all about Transparent. So, will you use vellum or add a layer of frosted film or use mediums that aren't opaque? Whatever you choose, we would love for you to join us and can't wait to see what you make.
...and here's what I created ~ as always, I hope you love it!!
I chose to create a shabby distressed wallhanging showcasing the gorgeous, (and one of my favourite ever stamps) the Butterflies and Moths from Tim Holtz and here's how I created it...
To begin with I cut a piece of Kraft card to size and then cut an aperture in the centre to create a frame. I then painted the frame using Snowflake PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Paint. Once the paint was dry, then came the fun bit, to make that frame distressed and for this, I went in with my scissors to create little rips and tears in the frame which would show the kraft card background through the white paint. I then added some ink lines to create the joins of the frames and placed a piece of acetate behind the aperture to create the look of glass. I used one of the Observations Word Bands, coloured with Picket Fence Distress Paint and attached this to my frame using Paper String stapled into place with the Tiny Attacher.
The next stage was to create the image and for this, I used the Butterflies and Moths stamp from the Papillon stamp set by Tim Holtz and stamped this in black Archival Ink, onto white card lightly inked with Old Paper Distress Ink.
I coloured the stamped image with Distress Marker pens and then added flicks of the ink onto the background to give that feel of discoloured vintage paper. I then wanted to create the wings and for this, I used Wendy Vecchi's Clearly For Art Modeling film.
I stamped each of the images onto the film and then cut them out before gently heating them to mould the wings. I then layered the wings over the tops of the stamped images and placed my painted distressed frame over the top, raising it with foam pads to give the depth I needed for the wings.
I mounted the completed frame onto a further piece of kraft card, then matted it onto layers of white card, followed by another piece of kraft.
To complete the piece, I used the Sizzix Garden Greens die by Tim Holtz to die cut Grungepaper, which I painted with Peeled Paint and Shabby Shutters Distress Paints, shaped the leaves to make them more realistic before inking the edges with Walnut Stain Distress Ink. I created a shabby bow from Crinkle Ribbon, dyed with Broken China Distress Stain and placed this in the centre of the frame together with the greenery and added a Wire Pin and beads.
Finally, I needed to hang the piece and for this I used the gorgeous Melissa Frances Decorative hangers which was the perfect finishing touch to my wallhanging.
Distress Inks ~ Walnut Stain
Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous Rubber Stamp ~ Papillon
Tim Holtz Distress Marker Pens
Distress Stain ~ Broken China
Thank you so much for all your visits today and I'll see you all very soon!!
Bye for now...love Emma xx